Oh how the last day or two has been long! I have been working hard on a couple posters for our campus news, and of course, I get everything how I want it and the printers are on the fritz! UGH! So after many hours spent in the MAC Lab troubleshooting with the professors and other students I finally got it to print properly….for a friend. Of course, we still hadn’t really solved my problem!
First, for those of you who are wondering, I will break it down for you! My friend had created a poster for a class, and was just trying to print it, but amongst many of the printers not working properly due to driver setup, we finally got somewhere. We started printing multiple 13 x 19 in posters (room for cropping down to 11 x17) but his colors weren’t really matching up. First, we thought it was a problem with the printer because my colors weren’t matching as well.
After much debate on the possibility of calibrating the computer to the printer (which isn’t possible due to the number of students in this lab setting <moving screens and such>) we decided to try just messing around with the image itself. Since he was working in photoshop he was able to mess with a bunch of his layers to make the image brighter than he really wanted, because when you print from a backlit computer screen, you will find that more often than not your print is darker than on the computer. For obvious reasons being how bright you make your screen, how it is tilted, etc. He messed with the curves of the photo for a while before I suggested trying to mess with the brightness and contrast. Finally, he was getting somewhere happy! We printed one more time, and BAM! He had a final print that I think he loved so much more.
End all do all, he found his favorite printer and printed a beautiful poster. I only wish I was that lucky! My poster was a little more frustrating due to the fact that it had so many drop shadows throughout the font and images. I found that when you print drop shadows…sometimes they are rather picky and will have an opaque box around it that is a pain in the butt to deal with. At first, to get rid of the box we raster sized the entire poster, (I was using Illustrator for this project) Well, it got rid of the box, but the color was a lot darker than I wanted.
The professor, and many others worked with me on trying to figure out how I was going to get this drop shadow box out and keep the gorgeous color. So, what I had to do to solve all of my problems was take the background and the text into photoshop and make them one complete jpeg image….So I printed, and that worked for the box but not the color! I was getting so frustrated, honestly thought about quitting design all together to become a doctor lol! Yeah right, anyway back to my terribly long story! Finally, after messing with the color, I finally found a brighter color that printed darker when the font was over top of it. YES! I had a successful trouble shooting process…even though it was hard and very frustrating!
The whole point of this post is to tell you that sometimes it may seem like a hard problem to solve, but with the right help and determination you will solve your problem. I really tried very hard not to get online for help for this one, and I am happy I didn’t. It feels much more rewarding having done this without the wonderful inter web! I worked hard and got advice from many people, and this is what I get, a beautiful poster! I will post the poster at a later date, since I haven’t released it on campus I don’t want to spoil the students excitement for our new marketing!
Have a wonderful day inter web I hope this helps you become determined!